Monday, July 26, 2010

Wearing my Baby

Welcome to The Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival!

This post was written as part of The Breastfeeding Cafe's Carnival. For more info on the Breastfeeding Cafe, go to www.breastfeedingcafe.wordpress.com. For more info on the Carnival or if you want to participate, contact Claire at clindstrom2 {at} gmail {dot} com. Today's post is about babywearing. Please read the other blogs in today's carnival listed below and check back for more posts July 18th through the 31st! 
 


Well before I realized I would be any sort of an "Attachment Parent" or "crunchy" parent, I knew I would babywear and breastfeed.  Breastfeeding, because, well, I was.  And as far as I knew, that's just what you did.  Babywearing because it was cool, and cute, and easy, and you could do things!  I just loved the idea.

I thought I was going to use Mei Tai's or a pouch sling.  Peanut Shells were just adorable and Mei Tai's looked comfy.

Then...I don't know.

When Jack was a newborn I could just never get him positioned properly.  He'd look like he couldn't breathe.  My back would hurt.  It just didn't work.

I kept trying.  I bought a Maya Wrap.  Several pouches.  Then, when he was 2 months old,  I went to the home of a friend and babywearing expert.  She showed me how to wrap and I was hooked!

I had learned my lesson on spending money, so first I just bought a LONG piece of jersey knit and made my own Moby.  It was SO COMFORTABLE.  And so easy once I got the hang of it.  I could wander around the mall with Jack sleeping cozily on my chest.  So I bought a Moby or two.  And a Hopp.  The Hopp never worked for me.  I'm plus-sized, it wasn't, it was heavy and thick, and...just not for us.  But I used those Moby's WELL past the recommended 15 pounds.  I tied super-tight and was happy as a clam.

Until Jack turned 9 months old, started walking, and never looked back.

I couldn't wear him at all for several months.  He just wanted to be down.  And running.

Then I got a Calyx and I pulled back out one of those old pouches.  Both are wonderful.  The pouch is, to this day, perfect for running into a store where I don't want him to touch everything.  Or for wearing him when he's not going to stay up long, and I don't want to be sad to put him down.  The Calyx is my go-to for zoo days or fairs or anything where we're walking for a long time.  It's not as quick as an Ergo or other buckle carrier, but it's so comfy & secure for me and Jack. 


I never could breastfeed and wear him.  I don't know if it's because my, ahem, large, breasts aren't quite perky enough for him to easily reach or if I am just not coordinated enough.  It didn't work for us. 

I'm going to have to learn.  I can't imagine surviving as the (eventual) mom of two kids without being able to nurse a newborn in a sling while I chase the Monkey.  Not and be the kind of mom I want to be.



 
 Here are more posts by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post! I've been pretty determined to get the hang of breastfeeding while babywearing, and I'm starting to be successful at it. I hope it works better for you next time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious of all those great carriers you have. I loved my Moby like crazy but I only had that one and the ring sling (which I didn't use the 2nd time around). I regret not having a mei tai or Ergo. Sigh. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete